Yoga is so much more than holding a pose, Breathing , and Meditating.
This is not a “yoga” blog. Except park of yoga are the 8 limbs of yoga. Those limbs include the Yamas and their complement, Niyamas, example “Yamas, and their complement, Niyamas, represent a series of "right living" or ethical rules within Hinduism and Yoga. It means "reining in" or "control". These are restraints for Proper Conduct as given in the Veda. They are a form of moral imperatives, commandments, rules or goals”
Donating helps both the giver and the receiver.
Making the most of your donations. I recently cleaned out my closet AGAIN! Instead of taking it to Goodwill I wanted these items to go directly to the homeless.
Sounds easy right, Well not o much. The larger shelters receive more donations than the smaller more localized shelters. This makes since larger more donations than the smaller more localized shelters. This makes since larger we hear about them more, they come up in a Google search first. That is just how it works.
Here are some tips that I would like to share.
1) Look around, who/ what charity do you want to support? I for instance try to support local animal shelters. In my area there are several thrift stores that help animals with medical, housing, fostering and finding homes for animals. (Not all the animals looking for homes are dogs and cats by the way. Farm animals need to be rehomed, bird, rabbits turtles the list goes on.) In my area there are 3 that I can think of Fur Kids has 3 store in the metro Atlanta are https://furkids.org/ Then Planned Pethood has just opened a thrift store https://pethoodga.org/thrift/ and then Second Life http://secondlifeatlanta.org/ If you want to search your area thrift store for animal charity near me is what I put in my google search
2) Helping the homeless, This is what started the blog. You would not believe how many times I was turned down. Look smaller www.kijahomlesstohome.org is wanted my donations but did not have the space. They were going out to deliver that day and asked if I would be able to bring the items in 2 weeks. Of course I would do that, after all these items have been in my house. Just pack them up and store them in a closet/corner or ask a friend maybe. Finding Kija was not easy, I made several calls but it was worth the time and energy.
3) Not all charities have stores. Where do your donations go? Some small business thrift stores buy items from a charity. This is one of my favorite was to donate. Win- you clean out your house/win win- you donate to a charity and get a tax deduction/ the charity sells your items which brings money in without any real overhead. More money for the charity./win a small business is started personally owned thrift stores/ win more jobs. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/questions-are-raised-over-thrift-store-chains-charitable-deeds-n452541 ““Every used item in this store was PURCHASED from our non-profit partners.” NOW I have to say it took a lot of looking to find this article so if this is the was you would like to go try Googling what does the kidney foundation do with donations
4) Lost and Found is a charity that serves the LBGTQ community in metro Atlanta. I donate and shop there. One thing that sets them apart is that they have a small food pantry outside the center. It is open for those who have noting to eat. It is open all the time, even when the center itself is closed. That is real trust for their community. https://lnfy.org/
There is a big privately owned thrift store Park Ave Thrift http://parkavethrift.com/about-us/#charities_we_help you can see what charities they work with from this link
5) Now Goodwill does good things for our communities, they are easy to donate too, they help with job training and supply jobs. I shop at Goodwill all the time and donate when I just can’t get to any of the above. The reason Goodwill is not my first chose is because “GOODWILL CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year. Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.”
Food Banks are a whole other subject. When you make donations to a food bank remember they need more than canned peas. Things we take for granted like diapers, food that is easy to open and doesn’t have to be cooked. Kids snack item, toiletries and such. You can ask before you donate. You might decided giving cash is easier. Think about a food bank when it is not a holiday. They need items 365 days a year.
If you would like to know more about the 8 limbs of yoga
“What are the 8 limbs of yoga?
The name “8 Limbs” comes from the Sanskrit term Ashtanga and refers to the eight limbs of yoga: Yama (attitudes toward our environment), Niyama (attitudes toward ourselves), Asana (physical postures), Pranayama (restraint or expansion of the breath), Pratyahara (withdrawal of the senses), Dharana (concentration), ...
https://8limbsyoga.com/about-yoga/ This is one of thousands of links. It literally is the 1st one that came up in my search.
There is so much to yoga besides holding a pose, breathing and meditating. That is for another blog. Keep looking on my site The Limbs are on my list of topics.